New intro, who dis? GATA Talk is back as we usher in the conclusion of Sun Belt Media Days, the start of fall practice and count down the days until Georgia Southern football is back and the Clay Helton era begins! Matt and Cody give their predictions for the Sun Belt East and West divisions, discuss the keys to having a winning season and proving the doubters wrong, and break down the Eagles' offense, defense and special teams units.
- Sun Belt Media Days Recap and Projections
- East Preview: Question Marks Around Every Team
- Why Kyle Vantrease Is the Perfect Bridge QB for the New Offense
- We Have One of the Best O-Line Coaches in the Country
- Skill Positions: Who Is Primed for Big Years?
- Defense: Plenty of Talent, But a Lot of Unknowns
- Special Teams: Significant Improvement Needs to Happen
- West Preview: Louisiana Takes a Step Back While South and Troy on the Rise
- GS Might Have the Toughest Draw with Cross-Division Games
The 2022 Georgia Southern Blue vs. White game is in the books, and with it concludes the first spring of the Clay Helton era. Matt and Cody discuss the spring game, how the new offense and defense is shaping up, and give their thoughts on realistic expectations in Helton's first year leading the Eagles.
- Thoughts on Spring Game
- Progression of New Offense and Defense
- New Sun Belt Members: East Division Just Got a LOT Harder
- 2022 Schedule Overview and Thoughts
- What's a Realistic Record for Georgia Southern in Clay Helton's First Year?
- Benko and Helton Investing in the Program with IPF and S&C Program
- Shoutouts to other Georgia Southern Teams and Their Accomplishments
Happy new year and welcome to GATA Talk Season 5! Since we last recorded, Georgia Southern head football coach Clay Helton finalized his staff, including a rising star as defensive coordinator and an experienced O-line coach. Helton also brought in a veteran QB from Buffalo that will compete for the starting job. On top of all that, Matt and Cody also discuss the key players returning for Helton's first year at the helm of the Eagles.
- Clay Helton's Georgia Southern Staff Part 2
- Will Harris an Exciting Defensive Hire
- Richard Owens Is the Guy We Need Coaching the O-Line
- Kyle Vantrease: Possible QB1 Transfers in from Buffalo
- Host of Players Return: JD King, TBG, Amare Jones, and More!
Clay Helton's first early signing period recruiting class at Georgia Southern is in the books and his staff is only partially assembled. Matt and Cody discuss Helton's first batch of recruits and the coordinators and assistants he's brought on board so far.
- Helton's First Recruiting Class
- Best QB and Wide Receiver Class in History
- Defensive Standouts Helping with Recruiting
- Recruiting Grades for Helton's Class
- Staff Breakdown: Mostly Offense and Off-Field Roles
- Ellis as OC: Concerns Are Completely Justified
It's Thanksgiving week, and we're thankful for all of our listeners and the support they've given us this season. It's also App State Hate Week. Matt and Cody break down the BYU loss, the emergence of a new QB1 and what it will take to end the season with a win at The Rock.
- BYU, Connor Cigelske and Flying Burritos
- A Debate About the New "Indoor" Practice Facility
- Mullen Out at Florida: Potential that Helton Returns Home?
- Coaching Carousel: Chip Lindsey Out at Troy
- 12-Team Playoff Expansion and What It Means for Georgia Southern
- App State Preview: What It'll Take to End the Season with a Rivalry Win