IT'S CORN!!! Georgia Southern heads into Lincoln, Nebraska, and comes away with its first Power Five win as an FBS program, beating the Cornhuskers 45-42 in front of a sellout crowd at Memorial Stadium. Matt and Cody give their thoughts on the historic win, the faster-than-expected evolution of the Eagles' offense and what needs to happen to keep this momentum going. The guys also preview another tough road test as GS heads to Birmingham to take on UAB. Do the Eagles keep rolling, or will there be a hangover from the party in Lincoln?
- Why This Nebraska Win Is Special
- Why This Eagles Team Is Different
- Kyle Vantrease Played Like a Man Possessed
- We Can Still Run the Football
- UAB Preview: Well-Coached Team Not to be Taken Lightly
- Keys to a Win Against UAB
The Clay Helton era of Georgia Southern football officially began with an expected win over FCS opponent Morgan State, but it was how our Eagles won that is the story. Matt and Cody break down the lopsided season opener and what (if at all) it tells us about this team. The guys also preview the first real test of the young season as the Eagles make the long trip to Lincoln, Nebraska, to face the Cornhuskers out of the Big Ten.
- New GS Offense Starts Slow, But Finishes Dominant
- Defense Pitches Shutout: Thoughts on New-Look Defense
- Refreshing Blowout Against an FCS Foe
- How Is This Different Than the 2016 Savannah State Win?
- Previewing Nebraska: Winnable Game Against Struggling Cornhuskers
- Keys to Winning in Helton's Road Debut with GS
September 3 is right around the corner and GATA Talk is here to get you ready for the start of the 2022 Georgia Southern football season opener again Morgan State. Matt and Cody dispute what pundits are saying about the transition to a more balanced or pass-heavy offensive attack and answer some tough questions about keys to a successful 2022 campaign.
- How Long Will the Offensive Transition Take?
- Scrimmage Analysis
- Defense Looking Sharp Under Will Harris
- If/Then: Addressing Scenarios for a Successful 2022 Season
- Previewing Morgan State - HBCU out of the MEAC
New intro, who dis? GATA Talk is back as we usher in the conclusion of Sun Belt Media Days, the start of fall practice and count down the days until Georgia Southern football is back and the Clay Helton era begins! Matt and Cody give their predictions for the Sun Belt East and West divisions, discuss the keys to having a winning season and proving the doubters wrong, and break down the Eagles' offense, defense and special teams units.
- Sun Belt Media Days Recap and Projections
- East Preview: Question Marks Around Every Team
- Why Kyle Vantrease Is the Perfect Bridge QB for the New Offense
- We Have One of the Best O-Line Coaches in the Country
- Skill Positions: Who Is Primed for Big Years?
- Defense: Plenty of Talent, But a Lot of Unknowns
- Special Teams: Significant Improvement Needs to Happen
- West Preview: Louisiana Takes a Step Back While South and Troy on the Rise
- GS Might Have the Toughest Draw with Cross-Division Games
The 2022 Georgia Southern Blue vs. White game is in the books, and with it concludes the first spring of the Clay Helton era. Matt and Cody discuss the spring game, how the new offense and defense is shaping up, and give their thoughts on realistic expectations in Helton's first year leading the Eagles.
- Thoughts on Spring Game
- Progression of New Offense and Defense
- New Sun Belt Members: East Division Just Got a LOT Harder
- 2022 Schedule Overview and Thoughts
- What's a Realistic Record for Georgia Southern in Clay Helton's First Year?
- Benko and Helton Investing in the Program with IPF and S&C Program
- Shoutouts to other Georgia Southern Teams and Their Accomplishments